Sunday, March 22, 2009

Getting Sick of Owls, Deer, and Birds.

Please note before I begin this blog that I have nothing against Owls, Deer, and Birds in general, and that I do realize that owls are, in fact, birds. So perhaps I should say Owls, Deer and Swallows.


But what is up with Etsy? It's like an obsession! Every time I log on, it seems the forest's most popular animals are in the featured items, or in my email inbox in the Etsy Finds newsletters.


So right now, right here, I'm sending out a shout-out to some awesome, though less frequently recognized, non-humans:


First up: The Opossum, or Possum. They may not be the prettiest critters on the block, but they're still pretty awesome - they play dead, and hang upside down from their tails. What's not to love? Hence the phrase "awesome possum".


Motleymutton deserves Kudos for her awesome possum necklace, needlefelted and reasonably priced for being so darn cute at $30:

The Ostrich, too, may be a bit funny-looking, but few see beyond its feathers to the fact that it lays the largest eggs in the world and, while it may not play dead or hang upside-down, but it does stick its head in the sand when it gets scared. LOL. Something that funny should be appreciated!


Recession has a great shirt featuring the ostrich, and they've even managed to make this funky-looking bird cute!

Okay, enough with the weird-looking ones. What about the bat? Everyone who read Stella Luna when they were little knows exactly how cute these little flying mammals can be. On Etsy, though, if you search for "bat", you'll mostly just find their wings in "Goth" jewelry and clothing. If you find a full bat, it's probably just a ball with wings, and ears if you're lucky!


Mychawd, however, has managed to create super-cute little bats for you to make that aren't just puffballs with wings, and can be any color you like as well!

Muchas gracias to these three talented sellers who looked beyond the norm!

9 comments:

  1. I love possums! And ostriches! I vote for more possums and ostriches on Etsy's front page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet critters.
    I rescued a baby possum once. We named him hiccups. I tried putting him into a box to take to the wildlife centre, but he was happier to hang off my finger.

    I ADORE that ostrich t!

    And I love those felted bats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT POST! just discovered your blog on an etsy forum thread - I can't believe I'm your first follower!! come on over and visit me sometime:

    http://namaste-elsiee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the bat. I'm pleased that other people find it endearing.
    ~Mychawd
    www.mychawd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwesome possum and wonderful ostrich!!!! :0) Fabulous, unique finds! Michele, http://mvegan5.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE THE ODD ANIMALS! MY FAV http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=22576156

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so many comments! And two followers! I'm glad so many people read my blog - it makes me want to blog more! =) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree. And that ostrich shirt is awesome. I personally want to see more
    a) giraffes
    b) octopi
    c) emus (no offense to the giraffe)

    ReplyDelete