Saturday, April 4, 2009

Gearing Up for Sewing...

I'm getting a sewing machine for my birthday, and this summer, I'm going to be working in an internship with the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare Festival, and the site is right on the beach. So I'm making myself some new clothes!

After almost a month of searching, I finally found a pattern for cargo pants that wasn't totally lame. Most seem to not be made for actual use besides lounging around the house. Why would you need pockets to do that?

I'm going to be part of the set crew, so I'm going to make them out of something tougher than just cotton - linen, probably. I went to my local fabric store the other day and looked at what they had in the type of fabric I wanted, and now I'm even more excited than I was before.

Originally I'd decided to stick with the traditional camo, army green, black, khaki, etc.

Now I'm thinking yellow with turquoise trim. And maybe another pair with purple or green. They had such good colors! And I'm planning on dying my hair orange and reddish pink and blue anyway, so why shouldn't the rest of me be colorful?

Other than the cargo pants, I've been looking around online for some free patterns and fun projects, and I found some great stuff on BurdaStyle!

They have awesome free patterns, but for some reason once I download the PDF, I can't open it on my computer. So I took a look at the how-tos instead, and found a bunch of great stuff there as well!

This mini purse is easy and cute, and enlargeable if you want. It looks so stylish, and seems simple to make from the excellent directions by kquade. I can't wait to try it out!


I also found this wallet-making tutorial, which I will be attempting once I get some more skills. It doesn't seem too complicated, and the result looks like something you'd buy at Target, but I'm not sure I want to tackle snap buttons yet.


These Indian salwar pants look sooooo comfortable! I can't wait to try to make some. The pleats in front will be a challenge, but I'm sure I can do it.


Check out these and other great how-tos on this awesome site! More of my discoveries coming soon. Happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment